Sunday 30 October 2011

My dog, Thor


Thor, beloved Rottweiler, I hope to see you in heaven!

 By Harold Lerch info@word2world.com

Rottweilers have often been given a bad rap as aggressive and dangerous, especially around children. 
When our son brought his new Rottweiler puppy to our home one day, I admit that I was concerned about the welfare of our future grandchildren. He named the awkward little thing with big feet “Thor.” Though very young, Thor, a gift from our son’s wife, was already as large as his Boston Terrier, Gizmo.
Our son is excellent with animals, a very good amateur trainer. We hoped Thor would be a K-9 dog, but he ended up as a family pet.
When our first granddaughter was born, my uneasiness of Rottweilers and children was put to the test. Guess what- Thor loved her! Thor became her recliner and pillow. He grew  huge. He was well over 100 pounds, but he was as gentle as he was large.
Once I had pneumonia and was in bed while our family room (aptly named) was full of family. It usually was full of family every weekend, including Thor and Gizmo; however, we did make the horses stay in the barn. Not wanting to be an outcast like the horses, I mustered enough strength to make it downstairs. I sat on the floor and slouched back against a chair.
Thor sensed my illness. He came to my side to protect me. Thor was not content to just lie beside me, he insisted on having one paw across my legs and his head on my lap. He would not leave my side the remaining time he was there. I felt a special bond with Thor from that day forward. He didn’t cure me or save my life, but he wanted to. He tried.
Thor loved all our grandchildren. He was their mountain, wrestling partner, and “horse.” Thor was their protector.
Large dogs often do not live as long as small dogs. We knew that the day would come when we would have to say goodbye to Thor. The inevitable became more real when Thor started having strokes. He lost his hearing. Sometimes he wandered off and seemed to forget how to get home. My son noticed a large growth on one of Thor’s legs.
The day we feared came on July 5, 2003. The lump on his leg was diagnosed as cancerous.
Thor now lies near the horse barn our son is building, at the corner of a future orchard. What a beautiful setting! But this spot pales compared to the beauty of heaven, where I trust Thor is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment